Arctic Floating University
Arctic Floating University is an annual scientific and education marine expedition, which brings together young people and researchers in order to study the Arctic. For scientists — it is a possibility to conduct research in the high-latitude Arctic. For students — it’s a unique educational program containing multidisciplinary course of lectures and practical training together with experienced researchers.
Aims of the expedition:
- organize complex interdisciplinary research of the Arctic environment;
- training of young researchers and specialists for work in the Arctic region (hydrometeorology, ecology, biology, chemistry, geology, geography);
- develop international scientific and educational collaboration in the Arctic.
The expedition program consists of the research and educational sections:
- study of the hydrological regime of the seas of the Arctic Ocean;
- study of transfer through biological pathways of highly toxic pollutants to Arctic Ecosystems;
- monitoring of the state of the environment in areas of active economic activity in the marine and coastal zones of the White, Barents Seas;
- structural geology and paleomagnetic research;
- study of the adaptive mechanisms of the human to the conditions of the high-latitude Arctic;
- assessment of the natural and cultural heritage of the Arctic Territories in order to assess the potential for tourism development;
- other research fields.